Electricity has turn into vital part of life but picture living without it. One of the major concerns in the world today is reduction of energy. As concerned citizens all of us must make a concerted attempt to save electricity.
Maintenance of electricity payback you personally as you will pay lower bills.
1. Doing an energy check. This will tell you how and when you use energy and where the wastage deceit.
2. Reset the thermostat ten degrees lesser during the night. If you can do this approximately eight hours a day you will save 10% on electricity without sacrificing comfort.
3. Check all lagging in the house. If you increase upper floor lagging to around 12 inches the electricity use will cut by 20 percent.
4. Plant more trees around the house these will cool the house in summer and protect in winter.
5. Check all electricity wires and outlets for leakage. Check all fuses and electrical devices.
6. Use bright light bulbs as they are energy proficient. They use 75% less energy than ordinary light bulbs.
7. Use energy competent appliances.
8. When you are away even for a few hours or days you should turn off and unplug all electrical machines and turn settings on the refrigerator to the lowest setting.
9. Ensure that you use a water-saving shower head. Water heating costs for a family can be lesser by at least Rs 80,000 a year.
10. Weatherize your home. This helps reduce heating bills by 20% and cooling by at least 10 percent. Fix windows in the roof in such a way that you use sunlight to light up the rooms during day light hours. Make an effort to switch off lights and fans when leaving a room.
3 thoughts on “Score your electric bill and save energy”
Saad is obviously not an engineer. Consumption of energy is measured in watts, not volts. If we switch over to 110 volts (like they have in the U.S.), it’s not going to make any difference. The consumption of electricity will be the same, since the appliances will have to run on double the current (amps).
IF WE CONVERT 220 VOLTS INTO 110 VOLTS LIKE WHOLE WORLD WE CAN SAVE OUR 50% ELECTRICITY AND IT ALSO REDUCESES ELETRIC BILLS COST.
The writer doesn’t know the conditions prevailing in Pakistan. Here it’s very easy to reduce your electric bills if you live in the slums (“katchi abadis”). One way is to disconnect your meter and take electricity directly into your homes for twenty five days and use the meter for five days (during which period the meter reader comes to record the meter reading). The second method is to ask the lineman to rig your meter so that it runs very slowly, the lineman charging you a hundred rupees every month for this service. This is being done in thousands of homes throughout the country. And if you happen to be very rich (like our politicians), you don’t have to pay utility bills at all. No one would dare to disconnect your electric or gas supply, because he knows that if he does so, his body will be found in a ditch the next day.