We keep talking about losing weight. Some people just don’t start off on a weight loss programme because they think too far ahead – what will happen after the weight loss, how will they keep it all off, and so on. I have realized that, weight maintenance is much like weight loss. The principles are essentially the same – eat healthy foods, control your portion sizes and exercise regularly.
Here are some ideas:
– Treat exercise as non negotiable, exercise 30 to 60 minutes each day. If time is limited, exercise for several brief period throughout the day.
– Eat less and often, eat three healthy meals during the day, including a good breakfast. Skipping meals causes increased hunger and may lead to excessive snacking.
– Invest in a good weighing scale, Weigh yourself regularly. Some make it daily, monitoring your weight can tell you whether your efforts are working.
– Work at slightest opportunity, you can create these opportunities to be active. Was your car at home instead of going to the car wash. Bike or walk to the store. Participate in outdoor activities at the playground or park.
– Plan healthy snacks, the best snacks include fruits, vegetables, whole grain and low-fat daily products. Fruit smoothies, slices fresh fruit and yogurt, whole-grain crackers, and carrot and celery sticks with peanut butter are all good choices.
– Reward yourself, you deserve the reward, as losing weight and keeping it off is a major accomplishment. Celebrate with nonfood rewards, such as new clothes.