Long used as a home remedy for dark circles, cucumber contains both bleaching and soothing properties. It relieves itchy skin; balances oily skin and refreshes stressed tired skin. Relaxing with a slice of cucumber over each eye is supposed to soothe the eyes and reduce those under-eye bags.
You can make your own cucumber cleanser for all skin types. All you need is cucumber, milk and simple tincture of benzoin. Cucumber is cleansing, toning, moisturizing, softening and cooling. It is great for all skin types. Especially for oily skin. Milk is moisturizing and softening. It is great for normal, dry or mature skin. (For oily skin, use skim milk instead). Simple tincture of benzoin acts as a mild preservative in this recipe.
– Peel a 5cm piece of cucumber. Blend the cucumber with 90ml of milk until smooth.
– Pour the mixture into a saucepan and heat it until it simmers.
– Allow it to simmer for a while, then remove it from heat and let it cool.
– Strain the liquid and keep it in a sterilized bottle.
– Add 4 drops of simple tincture of benzoic to preserve it.
– Keep it refrigerated and use it within 1 week.
– To use, apply on your face and wipe it off with clean cotton wool. Rinse off thoroughly.
Caution: before trying any homemade product, put a little on your arm, in the crook of your elbow. Leave it on a while. If your skin feels comfortable with no adverse reaction, then you can try it on your face. If at any time the product looks or smells funny. Don’t use it. It may have spoiled. If you feel any irritation at all when you use the product, wash it off immediately with a lot of water.
As homemade cleansers don’t keep, here are some cucumber cleansers you could buy instead
PONDS – Deep Cleanser and Makeup Remover with Cucumber Extract.
GREATSKIN – Cucumber Toner Infused with Natural Cucumber Extracts.