After winning the majority of seats in National Assembly, PML-N is in a comfortable position to make government without taking a major partner on board. So far, many independents have joined them and Maulana Fazlur Rehman and his JUI-F are also in talks to share power.
The groups inside PML-N are lobbying for their favourite candidates for ministries like Information Ministry, Education, Interior Ministry etc.
According to Express Tribune following men, and woman, are matched with ministries and positions in the government so far:
- Lt General (retd) Abdul Qadir Baloch: Ministry of Interior (because of his experience as the Balochistan corps commander and Sindh DG Rangers)
- Shahid Khaqan Abbasi: Ministry of Water and Power
- Ahsan Iqbal: Ministry of Water and Power or Ministry of Education
- Ishaq Dar: Ministry of Finance
- Chaudhry Nisar Ali Khan: Ministry of Petroleum, Oil and Gas
- Pervez Rashid: Ministry of Information
- Engineer Khurram Dastgir: Ministry of Trade and Commerce
- Mehmood Khan Achakzai of Pakthunkwa Milli Awami Party (PKMAP): Speaker National Assembly
- Sumaira Malik: Deputy Speaker National Assembly
Sartaj Aziz is lobbying for the portfolio of foreign minister, but he is neither a Senator nor a member of the National Assembly.
Interestingly, Nawaz Sharif wants to keep the defence ministry portfolio with himself.
Khawaja Asif is lobbying to get a good portfolio not only for himself but also for his aide Khawaja Saad Rafique from Lahore.
General (retd) Abdul Qayyum and General (retd) Ziauddin Butt â€“ are lobbying for the post of national security adviser.
Punjab caretaker chief minister Najam Sethi has emerged as a hot candidate for Ambassador to USA.
PML-Nâ€™s General Secretary Zafar Iqbal Jhagra and Mehtab Khan Abbasi are in the race for the portfolio of Governor Khyber Pakthunkwa, while PML-Nâ€™s Information Secretary Mushahidullah Khan and PML-Nâ€™s Sindh President Syed Ghous Ali Shah are contenders for the Sindh governorship.