– I didn’t fight to get women out from behind vacuum cleaners to get them onto the board of Hoover.
– I have always been principally interested in men for sex. I’ve always thought any sane woman would be a lover of women because loving men is such a mess. I have always wished I’d fall in love with a woman. Damn.
– Man is jealous because of his amour propre; woman is jealous because of her lack of it.
– Never advise anyone to go to war or to get married. Write down the advice of him who loves you, though you like it not at present. He that has no children brings them up well.
– Perhaps women have always been in closer contact with reality than men: it would seem to be the just recompense for being deprived of idealism.
– The blind conviction that we have to do something about other people’s reproductive behavior, and that we may have to do it whether they like it or not, derives from the assumption that the world belongs to us, who have so expertly depleted its resources, rather than to them, who have not.
– The house wife is an unpaid employee in her husband’s house in return for the security of being a permanent employee.
– The management of fertility is one of the most important functions of adulthood.
– The real theater of the sex war is the domestic hearth.
– The sight of women talking together has always made men uneasy; nowadays it means rank subversion.
– The tragedy of machismo is that a man is never quite man enough.
– There have been women in the past far more daring than we would need to be now, who ventured all and gained a little, but survived after all.
– What we ought to see in the agonies of puberty is the result of the conditioning that maims the female personality in creating the feminine.
– Women are reputed never to be disgusted. The sad fact is that they often are, but not with men; following the lead of men, they are most often disgusted with themselves.
– Women have very little idea of how much men hate them.
– Yet if a woman never lets herself go, how will she ever know how far she might have got? If she never takes off her high-heeled shoes, how will she ever know how far she could walk or how fast she could run?
– You’re only young once, but you can be immature forever.