On Thursday evening, it was reported on national media that a man, armed with automatic weapons, accompanied by his wife and two kids has created a standoff near Blue Area Islamabad.
According to one report, his car was stopped at a police checkpoint where an exchange of angry words with the policeman made him bump his car into the side road. The man had said that the policemen had misbehaved with him. So he came out flashing his guns in the air.
The incident soon turned into a national pastime. The entertainment deprived public of Islamabad and the sensationalism seeking media camped around the man and his family, feeding rest of the nation with live accounts of their second by second movements.
The man turned out to be a Sikander Hayat of Hafizabad. He allegedly rented a car from Islamabad. Media traced out that he has got two Mobilink sims, used to have a shop in the Fish Market of Dubai, married an Arab lady there and probably had a son locked up in Dubai jail.
Sikander turned out to be a lunatic of highest order, making his demands ranging from resignation of current government to implementation of rule of Quran in Pakistan.
SSP Islamabad Dr Rizwan tried to negotiate with Sikander but nothing came out of it.
Sikander and his wife were busy talking on their phones all the time.
MQM MNA Nabeel Gabol also arrived at the scene for negotiations but later backed out.
Later Zamrud Khan, ex-PPP MNA and ex-Chairman Pakistan Baitul Maal, reached near Sikander and his family. He jumped at Sikander while patting his kids. Sikander got itchy, fired few shots (single shots) but Zamrud managed to get away. The snipers opened fire at Sikander, hitting him in legs and stomach.
Thus ended the drama that kept the nation hostage for hours.
Some questions regarding the Sikander saga:
- Why police didn’t take action earlier? There were many times Sikander was away from wife and kids and the snipers could have easily taken him down.
- How can a man roam with automatics in the capital?
- Why Zamrud Khan was allowed near him?
- Where was the Interior Minister Ch Nisar during this fiasco?
- Why media was allowed to crowd at the spot and show live coverage of the incident?
- How Javed Chaudhry got the number of Kanwal (Sikander’s wife) and why he was allowed to talk with her on live tv? Was he trying to give them some message or helped in creating a diversion for Zamrud?
The foolish act of gun jumping by Zamrud Khan will give equally foolish ideas to our crazy nation that gets educated by the media. Next time we see a hostage situation, lets jump in and die trying.
Lets all take the law in our hands. Next time you see a hostage situation, jump in and die trying.
— Kashif Aziz (@kashaziz) August 15, 2013
The incident of Sikander Hayat yet again proved the inefficiency and lack of preparedness of our civil law enforcement agencies. This also highlights the absence of writ of State. Long live Pakistan.